Monday, February 16, 2009

Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band vs. Fleet Foxes

Well folks, here it is, the best album of 2008, the self titled album from Omaha's favorite former heroin addict, Conor Oberst (and the Mystic Valley Band). Now I know what you are thinking, why didn't I just go with the easily loved Fleet Foxes masterpiece? Well there is one fundamental difference between these two folk albums. First-off, I would like to commend Fleet Foxes for creating something of such beauty and complexity. Their songs have a certain something that makes you feel as if you had been listening to them for years and their lyrics are nothing short of spectacular. Their subtle background vocals, in songs such as White Winter Hymnal, create a sort of ambience that follows you where ever you go; however, this is the fundamental difference between this album and Oberst's. 

The Bright Eyes lead man simply has more experience with over ten albums and five bands under his belt, his lyrics speak to the listener in ways other artists cannot. He has a way of making you feel as if he wants to let you in on a secret, and he trusts you not to tell, drawing you in with simple melodies and continually complex metaphors relating to religion, politics, philosophy and one anthem in which he refuses to die with out a smoke and a drink in his hand. The simplest ideas can seem al the more complex when written in the language of Oberst. 

To be honest, Fleet Foxes would have clinched this year's best album if only they did not have to contend with the greatness of Oberst. But do yourself a favor, check them both out and don't stop listening until you are satisfied, it is easier than you think to get lost in either album.


3 comments:

  1. Oberst ftw for sure. I loved the fleet foxes, but still thought it was over rated. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96657362
    that's oberst + mystic valley live, it's also free on itunes.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't fucking figure out how to blog add you. Is that even possible? Do I have to click "follow this blog" or something? It's funny because I haven't even read this. As you can tell, I'm more focused on environmentally concerning problems.

    ^hahah, I wrote that yesterday and immediately minimized this window because I didn't want to feel blog-tarded. Also, I LOVE fleet foxes' White Winter Hymnal and have been loving it for a while now. You might like Band of Horses
    ...songwise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibE7IqEjni4.
    They're very, very, very similar.
    Amazing bands i've discovered:
    (this version=crappy but funny)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjy2P0MSVlo
    same song...for full song experience (weird ass video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYZbYtAl9A
    AND THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3ZAs17uAg
    haha...I should just blog about music.

    (my new blog=amazing youtube video/song)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I agree with you fully. I can't remember what the first track is called, but some of the tunes on the Fleet Foxes album seam one dimensional. Don't get me wrong its one of my fav albums, but a couple tracks dont do it for me as far as creativity goes.

    Especially the first one (i think). It starts off with "red squirrel in the morning, red squirrel in the evening..."

    I dont mind the relation to traditional folk, but what purpose is served adding a piece like that into that song. I guess they have the option of doing it so they get all excited and don't think that it sounds fucking retarded placed in that context/dropped out of thin air.

    Also, I've gotten my share of imagery with their tunes...they should move on to things other than mountains and streams! The tracks I enjoyed kept everything in context in relation to the melody and song as a whole.

    I have to skip tracks on Fleet Foxes or I may stab my ear canal to the point of bleeding. With Conor Oberst's work I enjoy every second - A true sign of a classic album.

    ReplyDelete